    From: “Amanda Graham”
    Date: April 27, 2011 4:27:43 PM PDT
    To: “‘quarrygirl'”
    Subject: RE: blog post on swingers diner

    Dear QuarryGirl,

    This response comes on behalf of both Swingers locations and from our HQ office. For the most part, both Swingers locations order the same products from the same vendors. In the case of the items in question – we order the same products at both stores and therefore, all are 100% vegan.

    In your article, you mention you called Swingers on two occasions both speaking to “a guy on the phone”. Since you do not identify this employee by name, we cannot speak directly to this “guy on the phone” to verify the validity of these conversations, much less what exactly was said.

    Similarly, we cannot reasonably determine what customers have reportedly seen on our packages because they are not here to defend their claims. We can simply reiterate that we do not and have not carried tortillas containing lard for a long, long time.

    As for the notion that there have been way too many incidents for this just to be a misunderstanding, we eagerly counter with the following examples:

    Similar to the game of telephone, one misinformed person can spread bad information like a wildfire. Some of the comments below your article even suggested that there should be a class action lawsuit against Swingers for deceptive practices. Suggesting a lawsuit before anyone has determined the facts illustrates just how far information get out of hand, especially without all of the facts.

    On the political front, 38% of Americans – according to a recent Gallup poll – believed that the President was not born in the United States – even though his birth certificate has already been provided. As this example illustrates, perception among the general public tends to carry far more weight than actual evidence.

    In spite of all of that, we are willing to provide this evidence and would like to reiterate that we are protected – by law – against any claims that can be damaging to our business when such claims are made without factual basis and especially after facts have been clearly brought to light.

    Amanda Graham
    General Manager
    Swingers Diner Santa Monica

    802 Broadway